Yesterday, we posted the first 10 photos from our annual State Fair Photo Contest. Today we bring you the other half. View the pics, possibly laugh, and vote for your three favorites after the jump. The top two move along to finals that will be unveiled on Monday.
p.s. – Before you vote, remember that these are real photos email to us by our readers. The reader who submits the winning photo will be treated to a dinner for four to Deep Fork Grill on N. Western.
After a long wait, our 2011 Oklahoma State Fair Photo Contest begins today with our first group of semi-finalists.
Before we get to the pics, I’d like to thank all the Ogle Moles who emailed us photographs from the Oklahoma State Fair. In all, we received 62 emails and about 150 photos. This year’s field was really deep. There were about 60 photos that we seriously considered for the semi-finals, and whittling those 60 down to a final 20 was a pretty difficult process. In fact, it was so difficult that during the elimination stages Clark Matthews cried like the day he learned Eskimo Joe’s shirts were no longer cool.
Anyway, here’s how the whole thing works:
• We are posting 10 pics today and 10 pics tomorrow. You will vote for your THREE favorite pictures from each group.
• This weekend we’ll tally the votes. The two pictures from each group that receive the highest percentage of votes will advance to the finals. We’ll also select one wild card. It will be the photograph that receives the most votes out of both groups, but didn’t make the finals.
• The person who took the winning photo will receive a complimentary dinner for four to Deep Fork Grill, one of the best fine dining spots in the metro.
Okay, enough with the stuff you don’t care about it. Check out the first 10 photos after the jump.
Well, today’s the official start of the Oklahoma State Fair and our Oklahoma State Fair photo contest. Once again, here’s how it works:
1. Go to the State Fair and take pictures.
2. Eat an Indian Taco
3. Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tweet (@thelostogle) those pictures directly to us. By doing this, you give us the authority and rights to use the photo(s) on the site and in the contest.
4. Once the State Fair ends, we’ll select our favorite photos and let our readers vote for the best.
5. The person who submits the winning photograph WINS a dinner for four to Deep Fork Grill. We’ll also give away prizes to the finalists.
To get you in the Pulitzer Prize winning photograph mood – and to also let you know what type of photographs we’re seeking — we’ve decided to rank our 11 favorite photos from our previous State Fair Photo Contests. Here they are, along with their original captions:
11. The Black Confederate (2009 Contest)
I know it’s not rain on a wedding day or free ride when you’ve already paid, but nothing says irony more than a black man draped in what appears to be a Confederate Flag. And I’m sorry if I now got that stupid song in your head.
10. Nice Legs (2009 Contest)
This picture was scary on many levels, but the scariest part is that the photographer only sent us pictures of the legs. It makes you wonder what the rest of this lady looked like. Did she have five fingers? Did she have teeth? Or was she incredibly hot with some f*cked up legs? I guess we’ll never know. That’s probably best.
This Thursday the Oklahoma State Fair makes its triumphant return to Oklahoma City. It’s one of the best times of the year. People from all over the state descend upon the state capitol, rent their favorite rascal, and wait in long lines for cinnamon rolls, beer and corn. Also, the “clever” guy in your office makes the same boring and tired joke about the state fair and rain.
Anyway, the return of the State Fair means the return of our Oklahoma State Fair Photo Contest. We are looking for photos that capture the cringe-inducing yet hysterical awesomeness that is the Oklahoma State Fair. If you need examples, check out our last three contests.
This is how the contest works.
1. Go to the State Fair and take pictures.
2. Email (email@example.com) or Tweet (@thelostogle) those pictures directly to us. By doing this, you give us the authority and rights to use the photo(s) on the site and in the contest.
3. Once the State Fair ends, we’ll select our favorite photos and let our readers vote for the best.
4. The person who submits the winning photograph WINS a dinner for four to Deep Fork Grill. We’ll also give away prizes to the finalists.
Anyway, be sure to tell you friends, family, coworkers about our contest. As always, it should be awesome. Also, check us out on Thursday when we countdown or Top 10 favorite State Fair photos over the last three years.
p.s. – The contest is in no way, shape or form actually affiliated with the Oklahoma State Fair.
On Tuesday we published the first part of our list of the 21 most popular posts in 2010. Today — barring pictures of a topless Olivia Munn or Mary Fallin getting drunk with frat boys popping up in the inbox — we bring you the 10 most viewed post of 2010. Enjoy.
Here is what we wrote last summer when we broke down the 5th Congressional District Race:
From what I understand, James Lankford’s ONLY job to this point has been director at Falls Creek Church Camp. On his website, he writes “Falls Creek has never been about any one person, it has always been about what God chooses to do in the lives of people who get quiet and listen to His still small voice.” Yeah, apparently God’s still small voice says, “Get drunk and sleep with as many confused young girls as possible.”
This place is called the “Baptist Breeding Grounds” for a reason. When I was a kid, all my church friends told me I had to go to Falls Creek. They told me this when I informed them I’d never been drunk, stoned, or laid.
“Dude, go to Falls Creek and you won’t be saying that at the end of the summer!”
As I grew older, and spoke to more people, the tales of debauchery were rampant when anyone brought up Falls Creek. “That was the first place I got drunk/stoned/laid/got all gay with some dude.” And this guy oversaw it for years? I kind of want to vote for him now that I think about it.
Naturally, we held a contest and encouraged our readers to submit their own tales of Falls Creek Debauchery. The winning submission involved Arbuckle Wilderness. Where as Clark Matthews says, the animals are waiting for you.
Thanks! Your message has been sent!