It’s about frackin’ time! Voting for our 2012 Oklahoma State Fair Photo Contest begins today with the first of our two semi-final rounds. I was going to post these last week, but Gary England Day got in our way. Sorry.
Anyway, before we get to the photos, let me quickly explain how this works:
• We will post 20 photos for the semi-finals. 10 are being posted today. 10 more
will be posted tomorrow can be found here. You can vote for up to three photographs in each group. The three pics from each group that receive the most votes will advance to next week’s finals.
That’s it. Here are the first 10 semi-finalists:
I doubt this surprises any of you, but one my favorite things about the Oklahoma State Fair is the insult clown inside the dunk tank. When I was a kid, I would stand by his spot near the Midway and listen to all the smart ass comments he would launch at the toothless and the damned. At times, I thought the clown had the coolest job in the world, until of course, he would get dunked and I’d be reminded of my strange fear of water.
Anyway, it looks like I may have missed out on an opportunity to pursue a borderline childhood dream. Check out this classified ad in the Oklahoman that an Ogle Mole emailed to us:
It’s that time of the year!
The temperature is starting to cool off, college football is in full swing, and Ogle Moles from all over the state flock to the Oklahoma State Fair to snap pics of those “unique” and “colorful” folk who are showing off their newest mullet, rascal scooter and Tazmania Devil (or Tweety Bird) tee-shirts.
Yes, our Oklahoma State Fair Photo contest is back for its fifth year! For those who are new to the show, here’s how it works:
• Go to the Oklahoma State Fair and take pictures! Obviously, we are looking for funny pictures that capture the personalty of the fair, and in particular, the people who come out of the woodwork and/or trailer park to attend this thing. You know, like a black guy draped in a confederate flag, an ex-member of Alabama walking around with the scraps of his newly christened jean shorts or interesting looking ladies with big baskets.
• Email those pictures to TheLostOgle@gmail.com! When you do so, you are basically entering our contest and agree to let us use the photo and all that legal stuff. Also, if you see some friend post a funny picture on Facebook or Twitter, encourage them to enter.
• Come here and vote for your favorites! When the great State Fair concludes, we’ll sort through all the pics we receive and post our 20 favorites for the semi-final round. Our readers will then vote for their favorites, and the six photos that receive the most votes will move on to the finals. The pic that receives the most votes in the finals will be the winner and win the grand prize, which is…
• Snap the winning pic and be treated to a Limo Dinner Tour for four to the Wedge Pizzeria and Deep Fork Grill! What’s a Limo Dinner Tour? Let me tell you. On a night of your choosing, the Deep Fork Group will send a limo to pick up you and your guests guests somewhere in the OKC metro. First, you will be whisked away to the Wedge Pizzeria for beer and appetizers. After that, you will be escorted to Deep Fork Grill for wine, dinner and dessert. From there, the limo will take you on a cruise around Oklahoma City, and at the end of the evening, drop you off safe and sound at your home…or hotel. Pretty cool, huh?
Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, I posted the victorious photos from the previous State Fair Photo Contests after the jump. My favorite is still the Rascal Racers from 2009, although the Guardian from 2010 is pretty amazing.
As I mentioned, we received about 150 entries for the Oklahoma State Fair Photo Contest. Out of those 150, only 20 made the semi-finals and were published on the site. Since this year’s field was so deep, I figured I’d go ahead and post some of the other ones we enjoyed — like the one above — after the jump. Enjoy:
After a week of voting, the winning pic from the 2011 State Fair Photo Contest has been crowned. It is Boomer Sooner on My Back. It received 51% of the vote in the finals.
Congratulations to our reader Evan for submitting this awesome photo. As a reward, he wins a dinner for four to Deep Fork Grill in Oklahoma City. The other finalists win a TLO shirt of their choice from Tree and Leaf.
I asked Evan if the classy OU fan knew her photo was being taken. He wrote:
Not until after. Her daughter came over and asked us to put it on Facebook. I thought that was a little weird. I thought she was going to yell at us!
In hindsight, I guess she probably should have yelled at you. She also should have probably grabbed your camera or phone and smashed it to the ground. But that would have required her to get off her seat and chase you. I doubt that would have happened.
Anyway, that is it for this year’s contest. Later today we will upload some of the pics to our Facebook page that barely missed the cut and didn’t make the semi-finals. We had a lot of good pics this year and they are worth checking out.
We’d also like to thank everyone who submitted a photo or voted. We received about 150 submissions and over 4,000 votes. We obviously couldn’t do this without the help and participation from our readers and Ogle Moles.
And one other thing. If you followed the voting for most of last week, you may have noticed “The Two Fister” was leading for most of the competition. That’s because some Douche Bag(s) with the IP Addresses 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 cast about 500 votes for the photo. We don’t tolerate automated ballot stuffing for our contests and removed the duplicate votes. That’s because we are so dapper and handsome.
Thanks! Your message has been sent!